Saturday 17 January 2015

Mantras for Mums #1

We all have them, the so-called "mom-isms," those lines you hear yourself saying over and over and over again. I'll add to this series as and when I realise what my own mantras are or when I come across particularly clever ones.

Here's my (sadly non-rhyming) top repetition to encourage good manners in greeting people. Although my little man is tremendously social and outgoing, like all of us he has off-days and new venues or unfamiliar faces can set off bouts of shyness. If he's feeling shy or just isn't in the mood for a full-blown conversation with someone, I still insist on him saying "hello." He can say it while peeking out from behind my knees or with his head barely lifted from my shoulder, and thereafter keep schtum* with me as his fiercest advocate, but a cheery "hello" is a must in our family.


"You're allowed to be shy,
but you're not allowed
to be rude."
Armour Academy


I admit I'll try for a "bye" as well as this is far easier for children since they know the exposure to the new venue/person is at an end and our sunny little mister usually adds a smile to his farewell and well they're just precious so any perceived rudeness is usually abated and everyone leaves the encounter happy.

*say nothing (surprisingly a Bristish saying of German derivation and not Yiddish as I'd assumed)


No comments:

Post a Comment

...please comment constructively and kindly...